WDC21’s Pre-Conference Workshops are the perfect opportunity to go deep on a topic with expert, hands-on guidance.
NOTE: These exclusive pre-conference workshops kick off the 2021 Writer’s Digest Annual Conference weekend on Thursday, July 22. Register today!
It’s easy to believe that some writers have some mysterious quality called “talent” and some don’t. Some have “what it takes” to succeed, and some simply don’t. The worst thing a writer can do is face the blank page not to tell a story, but to determine whether or not they have “it”. In this day-long workshop William Kenower, author of Fearless Writing and Everyone Has What It Takes, guides students through the many emotional blocks that keep all of us, regardless of our experience level, from accessing our inherent genius, and telling our best stories. In addition to Kenower’s teachings, there will be a number of writing exercises where students both address the emotional challenges that stand in the way of their craft, as well as learn new techniques to free up their creativity.
There will also be a number of focused question and answer periods where the students’ unique experiences and concerns are addressed. These workshops are shaped as much by the attendees as the material.
- Why they don’t have to care what other people think of their work.
- The only two questions a writer ever needs to ask.
- How best to harness the creative power of our unique curiosity.
- Why failure isn’t real.
- How to get into and stay in the creative flow.
- How to know when the Muse is speaking and when she isn’t.
- How to market our work fearlessly.
- And why writing a story can teach us how to live our most authentic lives.
Are you overwhelmed by self-publishing and everything you need to learn?
With so many resources out there, it can be hard to know what advice to follow. In this can’t-miss workshop for aspiring self-published writers, bestselling self-published author and YouTuber Michael La Ronn will hold your hand and walk you from idea to published novel. When you’re done with this workshop, you’ll know exactly what to do and how to get started.
You want to share your story with the world, but you also want to avoid critical mistakes that will stop readers from buying your book. This workshop will save you time, effort, and money.
Michael will share secrets he’s learned after publishing more than 60 science fiction and fantasy novels and self-help books for writers. Learn from the early mistakes of one of the most prolific writers in the self-publishing community.
- How to set up your publishing business to prevent legal and tax nightmares.
- The best apps recommended by almost every successful self-published author. Use these apps, and you’ll automatically write better and save hours of wasted time.
- The secrets to hiring an ace editor, every time.
- Exactly what to tell a cover designer for an amazing cover (and where to find your designer)!
- How to market your book.
- How NEVER to market your book, and why.
- The sneaky tricks of scammers, so you can avoid them.
- Where to publish and how to take advantage of algorithms to help you sell more books while you sleep.
- The reason why many first-time self-published writers quit after publishing their first book. Can you avoid the top 10 mistakes?