Creative Cartography: Drawing the Map to a Successful Writing Business
This session will provide a high-level framework to help writers understand what it means to treat writing like a business. It is intended for those pursuing self-publishing, but will be worthwhile for any writer who is not naturally inclined to think about business strategy.
We’ll focus on the big-picture steps that are often bypassed in favor of writing and the tactical aspects of selling. Attendees will learn about the following phases in preparing to treat writing as a business:
- Exploration: Figuring out the why, what, and how
- Strategy: Mapping the path to success
- Creation: Methods to support the writing process as the act of developing a product
- Marketing: Laying the groundwork to market a book before, at, and after launch
- Production: Considerations for producing the finished book
No business background necessary! Exercises accompany each phase to help attendees apply the concepts.