Secrets of Plotting Success
For some writers, the notion of “plotting” is right up there with pulling teeth. Yet for others, it promises to open a doorway leading toward a secret garden of knowledge harvested by established pros who aren’t sharing the secrets that await. When framed improperly—leaning into oversimplification while offering the notion that it is optional (which it is most certainly not)—plotting and its misunderstood bodyguard called story structure can seem more like limits and rules than the liberating gears of momentum and dramatic tension they are designed to be. Plotting and structure are essential core competencies in novels that don’t simply just work. They are the magic dust that allows stories to soar.
The bottom line is this: Plotting and structure may not be what you’ve been led to believe they are. This workshop, once and for all, sets aside the casual dismissal and will help you get this right.
In this session you’ll:
- Learn the basic core principle upon which all plot structures are derived.
- Learn why structure is a writer’s best friend, leading you toward the dramatic elements that make a story soar.
- Understand how and why plotting and structure are process-neutral… they work whatever your story development process looks like.
- Learn to interpret the writing conversation on this topic to avoid confusion, cynicism, and doubt.
- Learn how to manage complex plotting within your process, and thus, how to enjoy the process.
- See the magic of plot and structure at work within bestselling novels you may know.
You’ll come away with a list of targets and criteria for your unfolding plot to use as you please, how you please.